Dr. Douglas Powell has joined IEH Laboratories and Consulting Group as the vice-president of communication.
For 20 years, Powell has worked to improve food safety risk analysis from farm-to-fork, and is committed to reducing the burden of foodborne illness.
Powell, a former professor of food safety at Kansas State University who resides in Brisbane, Australia, received a PhD in food science from the University of Guelph in 1996.
Powell has published over 60 peer-reviewed papers, book chapters, a book, and has written over 6,000 entries for barfblog.com since 2006.
Powell will work with the IEH team to offer a complete package of assessment, management and communication – the basics of food safety risk analysis, including:
- media analysis and social media monitoring;
- 24/7 food safety crisis communication and management;
- message development;
- proactive promotion of food safety efforts;
- supplier risk analysis
- real-time food safety webinars; and,
- freely available courses in food safety risk analysis in the style of massive open on-line courses (MOOCs).
Food safety is global, so is IEH.
Based in Seattle, WA, the IEH Laboratories & Consulting Group combines consulting with accredited testing laboratories to provide services in food, pharmaceutical and environmental arenas. Services are offered through over 91 laboratories throughout the US, Mexico, Canada and Australia.